The Friends of the Sepulveda Basin Off-leash Dog Park (SBOLDP) is sponsoring a photo contest at their spring-summer dog adoption event on Sunday, June 23.
The top three vote-getters will receive gift certificates from Gelson’s Markets for $500, $250 and $100. The top 18 vote getters will featured in a calendar the Friends of the SBOLDP are planning.
Park visitors can cast their votes from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. If you aren’t a photographer, please come by to see the photos and vote. All the entries will be displayed on the fence of the small dog section of the park, 17550 Victory Blvd., in Van Nuys.
Photo Contest Rules
The rules for entering this contest are simple:
- Entries must be original photography taken at SBOLDP since Jan. 1, 2019.
- The subject can be anything the photographer desires, as long as the photographer is taken at the dog park.
- Up to four photos may be entered in the contest by a single photographer.
- Entry fees are $15 for the first photograph entered and $5 for each additional photograph.
- There is an online entry form with payment via PayPal on the Friends of the SBOLDP website.
- All photos submitted must be printed and mailed so they are received by the photo contest organizers by Monday, June 17, 2019.
If you want some inspiration and tips for great dog photography, see what photographers Brig Van Osten and Isky Iskandar had to say. They spoke at the Friends of SBOLDP’s March 19 meeting.
I’ve had my own challenges taking good photographs of my favorite dogs. Here are some photography tips I’ve discovered.
This is one contest where everyone comes out a winner. All the proceeds go to support the Friends of the SBOLDP’s ongoing advocacy for the Sepulveda Basin Off-Leash Dog Park. A nonprofit organization created in 2014, the Friends of the SBOLDP is committed “to enhance the dog park experience in a safe, beautiful setting by fostering community, government and donor relationships conducted with accountability and transparency.”
Their work at the park includes:
- Sponsoring events such as the photo contest, Halloween dog costume contests, portrait sittings with Santa Claus and adoption events.
- Providing donations to help trim the park’s trees, buy new ones, install water fountains for dogs and people, reseeding and resodding worn areas of the dog runs and putting in concrete benches.
Disclosure: In the interest of transparency, I must disclose that I am a supporting member of the Friends of the SBOLDP and work on their website as a volunteer. I was neither asked nor compensated for the writing of this post.